Tips for “Summerizing” Your Home While on Vacation
- Turn the water heater off completely at the breaker or shut the gas line off. At the least, set the dial to vacation mode to minimize stand by losses.
- Turn the thermostat up to 90 degrees. This will keep your home cool enough to not damage the structure or your belongings.
- Fill gallons of water and place several throughout the house to add moisture over time.
- Unplug energy vampire’s aka electronic devices. TV’s will use more energy in stand by mode than when turned on. Prevent wasteful spending by simply unplugging your electronics while away.
- Keep window shades closed and sun screens on the exterior windows to minimize heat gain during the daytime.
For more tips on “summarizing” your home while away, visit here.